Experience Integrity Results
Here is a summary of the issues and priorities I will work on as your MLA in the next Legislative Assembly.
I look forward to hearing about your ideas, issues and concerns in the coming weeks.
• Provide seniors with more “Aging in Place” programs such as affordable housing, subsidized rent, supportive living and more Homecare services.
• Stop cutting programs, services and jobs to fund large infrastructure projects.
• Build or retrofit more affordable and energy efficient housing to lower the cost of living, create local jobs and reduce greenhouse gases.
• Support the sobering centre, day shelter and safe ride programs and offer more Housing First, Ready to Work and managed alcohol/drug programs.
Children and Education
• Offer affordable and high-quality child care in all NWT communities.
• Fund schools adequately to meet the learning needs of all primary and secondary students.
• Develop a NWT Polytechnic University with a Yellowknife campus and give official status for Collège Nordique and Dechinta Centre for Research and Learning.
Environment and Energy
• Pass a Climate Crisis Act to ensure GNWT takes necessary actions.
• Protect key habitat to save our caribou herds.
• Use Taltson hydro to provide energy for NWT instead of exporting power to the south.
Resource Development and Remediation
• Maximize local benefits with the Giant Mine Remediation Project with job training and better contracts.
• Ensure responsible mining and energy development through local benefits, jobs and a fair return from royalties and taxes.
Diversify and Stabilize the Economy
• Create tourism jobs and other local benefits from projects such as Thaidene Nene protected area.
• Develop a new Yellowknife tourism visitor’s centre funded fairly by GNWT.
• Focus Agricultural policy on food security, support for local producers and increased access to agricultural land.
• Invest more in the creative arts, culture and heritage.