Here is a summary of the issues and priorities I will work on as your MLA in the next Legislative Assembly.
I look forward to hearing about your ideas, issues and concerns in the coming weeks.
- Provide seniors with more “Aging in Place” programs such as affordable housing, subsidized rent, supportive living and more Homecare services.
- Stop cutting programs, services and jobs to fund large infrastructure projects.
- Build or retrofit more affordable and energy efficient housing to lower the cost of living, create local jobs and reduce greenhouse gases.
- Support the sobering centre, day shelter and safe ride programs and offer more Housing First, Ready to Work and managed alcohol/drug programs.
Children and Education
- Offer affordable and high-quality child care in all NWT communities.
- Fund schools adequately to meet the learning needs of all primary and secondary students.
- Develop a NWT Polytechnic University with a Yellowknife campus and give official status for Collège Nordique and Dechinta Centre for Research and Learning.
Environment and Energy
- Pass a Climate Crisis Act to ensure GNWT takes necessary actions.
- Protect key habitat to save our caribou herds.
- Use Taltson hydro to provide energy for NWT instead of exporting power to the south.
Resource Development and Remediation
- Maximize local benefits with the Giant Mine Remediation Project with job training and better contracts.
- Ensure responsible mining and energy development through local benefits, jobs and a fair return from royalties and taxes.
Diversify and Stabilize the Economy
- Create tourism jobs and other local benefits from projects such as Thaidene Nene protected area.
- Develop a new Yellowknife tourism visitor’s centre funded fairly by GNWT.
- Focus Agricultural policy on food security, support for local producers and increased access to agricultural land.
- Invest more in the creative arts, culture and heritage.